Minecraft Snapshot 21w08a
A Minecraft Java Snapshot
In this snapshot, our new beloved stone type has suffered a grim fate and has been renamed "Deepslate". How mysterious!
Update: We've now released 21w08b to fix two issues with ore distribution.
Fixed bugs in 21w08b
- MC-216744 - Iron ore doesn’t generate (only iron ore in deepslate is generated)
- MC-216101 - Redstone ore generates with a flat distribution below y=12
Changes in 21w08a
- Tweaked cave sizes further
- Canyon and cave carvers now apply below y=0
- Cracks can now be found carved into the ground
- Grimstone has been changed into Deepslate
- Added Deepslate ores
- The distribution of ores has been further tweaked
- Andesite no longer generates under y=0
- Tuff now sometimes generates under y=0
- The Tuff layer of amethyst geodes has been replaced with now a new type of stone called Smooth Basalt
- Smooth Basalt is now obtained from smelting Basalt
- Another round of tweaking has been done to the new textures of ores and Blackstone
- Emerald and Lapis Lazuli ore textures have had some touch-ups
- Mineshafts now once again generate in the open air in caves
- Particles now appear in the air around spore blossoms
- Slime Blocks and Honey Blocks have been moved to the Redstone tab of the creative inventory
- Grimstone is now called Deepslate
- Deepslate now has a top texture, and a new block called Cobbled Deepslate drops from Deepslate
- The cobbled variant is the same but without the top texture, and is used to craft all Deepslate variants instead
- Deepslate now has a unique set of sounds! Very crunchy indeed
- Added Deepslate versions of Iron, Gold, Lapis, Redstone, and Diamond ores that generate wherever those ores replace Deepslate
- Twice as tough to mine as normal ores
Ore Distribution Tweaks
Fixed bugs in 21w08a
- MC-213926 - Rooted dirt footstep sounds are considerably quieter than normal dirt footstep sounds
- MC-214782 - Geodes can generate floating in caves
- MC-214843 - Old style caves don’t generate past Y=0
Get the snapshot
Snapshots are available for Minecraft: Java Edition. To install the snapshot, open up the Minecraft Launcher and enable snapshots in the "Installations" tab.
Snapshots can corrupt your world, so please backup and/or run them in a different folder from your main worlds.
Cross-platform server jar:
Report bugs here:
Want to give feedback?
- Adrian Östergård