Minecraft Snapshot 20w45a
A Minecraft Java Snapshot
Good things come to those who wait, and we believe you've waited long enough. The first Caves & Cliffs snapshot is finally here and ready to enter the Java Edition of Minecraft! We hope that you're as excited about this as we are, because this snapshot brings you a variety of features, some changes to existing features, and a few technical changes. All of it is listed in this blog post, and we can't wait to see you experiment with it all.
New Features in 20w45a
- Added bundles!
- Added candle!
- Added lava cauldron!
- Added copper!
- Added amethyst!
- Added lightning rod!
- Added spyglass!
- Added tinted glass!
- A shulker hitting a shulker with a shulker bullet can make a new shulker.
- Amethyst comes in block form inside the geodes in two ways: block of amethyst and budding amethyst.
- All types of Amethyst blocks (clusters included) create beautiful sounds when you walk on them, break them, place them, or hit them with a projectile – go make some music!
- Amethyst clusters grow from budding amethyst, which can be found inside geodes.
- Clusters have four growth stages: small amethyst bud, medium amethyst bud, large amethyst bud, and amethyst cluster.
- Clusters can only grow when they are placed on budding amethyst blocks.
- Fully-grown amethyst clusters drop four amethyst shards (or more with Fortune) when an iron pickaxe or higher is used, and drop nothing otherwise when broken.
- Clusters can be silk touched at any stage.
- These huge geodes can be found anywhere underground in the Overworld.
- Amethyst geodes have an outer layer of a new stone called tuff.
- Amethyst geodes have a second layer of another new block called calcite.
- Amethyst geodes have an inner layer of various amethyst blocks.
- Amethyst clusters drop four amethyst shards (or more with Fortune).
- On any side of a budding amethyst block where there is air or a water source block, a small amethyst bud will eventually grow.
- Amethyst Buds can only grow when attached to budding amethyst and will grow until they become amethyst clusters.
- Bundles are items that hold other items.
- A bundle can hold a mixture of items, but only one stack’s worth. For example, a bundle could fit:
- 64 dirt
- 32 dirt + 32 stone
- 32 dirt + 8 ender pearls
- One of every color of wool, concrete, carpet and terracotta (64 blocks in total)
- Or one diamond helmet
- Use right-click to put an item into a bundle.
- Right-click a bundle to empty it.
- Wrap a present in a bundle and give it to your friend!
- Candles come in all 16 colors + one uncolored variant.
- Up to four can be placed in one block.
- Candles allow you to properly wish someone a happy birthday.
- Waterloggable! (But you cannot light them underwater, silly).
- Wish anybody a happy birthday with a candle cake!
- Cauldrons can now be filled with buckets of lava!
- Filled lava cauldrons give off a redstone signal of strength 1.
- Craft nine copper ingots to a copper block.
- Craft cut copper, cut copper stairs and cut copper slabs.
- Use honeycomb to craft waxed copper blocks.
- Copper ore can be found in ore blobs across Overworld, similar to iron and coal (this is not the final generation for copper…)
- Smelt copper ore to get a copper ingot.
- The lightning rod is crafted from three copper ingots.
- Keep your builds safe (well, as long as the closest area around the lightning rod is fireproof) during thunderstorms!
- The lightning rod will protect an area of 4 * 16 blocks around it from the, sometimes devastating, lightning strikes!
- Lightning rods give off a redstone signal when struck by lightning
- Copper will oxidize over time
- There are for stages: copper, lightly weathered copper, semi-weathered copper, and weathered copper.
- It takes 50-82 Minecraft days (in loaded chunks) for a copper block to oxidize one stage.
- Waxed copper blocks will not oxidize.
- You can wax any oxidation stage – how lovely that means you can keep that pretty lightly weathered copper block in it’s lightly weathered stage forever!
- You can use your spyglass to see faraway things.
- Pretend to be a sea captain, or catch your neighbor in the act as they dye your sheep lime green.
- The spyglass is crafted from two copper ingots and one amethyst shard.
- Tinted glass is a type of glass that does not allow light to pass through.
- Tinted glass is crafted by putting a glass block in the middle of four amethyst shards.
- Tinted glass can be obtained without silk touch; it does not shatter like normal glass.
Changes in 20w45a
- Experience orbs now sometimes merge when in large quantities to improve performance. This does not change the rate at which the player can absorb them – it simply limits the amount of separate orbs floating around in the world. Orbs that merge will gain the lifetime of the most recently created one.
- Particles now appear when pistons break blocks.
- Simple firework rockets with one gunpowder can now be crafted using the recipe book.
- Dirt paths (formerly grass path) can now be made by using a shovel on dirt, podzol, mycelium, or course dirt (as well as grass).
- Minecarts and rails work in water.
Minecarts and rails work in water
- All rails can be waterlogged (works with a dispenser & water bucket too).
- Flowing water doesn’t break rails.
- Minecarts can pass through water, but get slowed down more than usual.
Technical Changes in 20w45a
- Entities are now saved separately from terrain chunks.
- Added loot table function set_banner_pattern
- Pack format in version.json has been split into data and resource versions
- Servers can now require custom resource packs to be accepted
Custom server resource packs
A dedicated server can enforce custom resource packs by setting require-resource-pack in server.properties. When this option is used, players will be prompted for a response and will be disconnected if they decline the required pack.
Entities have been extracted from main (terrain) chunks and are now stored in a separate entities directory (similar to POI storage).
Those new files are still region files with NBT.
Sets tags needed for banner patterns.
- patterns - list of pattern objects:
- pattern - name of pattern (square_bottom_left, bricks, etc.)
- color - name of color (light_gray, etc.)
- append - if true, new elements will be appended to existing ones instead of replacing
Fixed bugs in 20w45a
- MC-98219 - Experience orbs follow dead players
- MC-108469 - Chunk-wise entity lists often don’t get updated correctly (Entities disappear)
- MC-112147 - Lava burning items or XP orbs sound muted when “Friendly Creatures” slider is turned off
- MC-127201 - /replaceitem makes quite an obnoxious sound, which is not heard by the person whose items are being replaced.
- MC-127692 - Experience build up in furnace when using a hopper which can cause severe lag
- MC-130449 - Cartographer villager freezes or crashes the game when unlocking explorer maps
- MC-130584 - When a structure loads, water sources in the structure spread into waterloggable blocks
- MC-133691 - Blocks can’t be placed normally on a full cauldron
- MC-135552 - Dead Entities are saved to chunk
- MC-136497 - XP orbs causing severe lag
- MC-141034 - taiga_fisher_cottage_1 is filled with water
- MC-169900 - Incorrect jigsaw setting in snowy_small_house_8
- MC-169945 - Skeletons don’t burn in minecarts while being exposed to daylight
- MC-171852 - Putting item in a spectator’s hand plays sound “Gear equips” for other players
- MC-174685 - Drowned arm texture is reversed by the model
- MC-175959 - One door is open in taiga_shepherds_house_1
- MC-177622 - One log in taiga_butcher_shop_1 seems to be misrotated - causing the side roof to look asymmetrical
- MC-177624 - Entrance in snowy_medium_house_2 is asymmetrical
- MC-181889 - Equipping sound plays when mobs picking up non-armor items
- MC-185357 - Removing a plant from a flower pot still plays generic armor equipping sound/shows Gear equips in subtitles
- MC-185359 - Using a bucket in Survival mode still plays generic armor equipping sound/shows Gear equips in subtitles
- MC-185360 - Milking a mooshroom for stew still plays armor equip sound/shows Gear equips subtitle
- MC-189565 - Some entities do not render inside of spawners and producing error log spam in console, potentially causing lag
- MC-190896 - Lag when opening a shipwreck chest containing buried treasure map
- MC-192594 - plains_stable_1 misplaced blocks
- MC-192629 - plains_stable_2 misplaced blocks
- MC-192876 - Misplaced trapdoor on taiga_decoration_6
- MC-192879 - Wall incorrectly placed on certain taiga houses
- MC-192930 - Zombies picking up items play the gear equipping sound and subtitle
- MC-193071 - Eating food items that return empty containers still play gear equipping sound
- MC-195125 - plains_animal_pen_1 misplaced block
- MC-195126 - plains_animal_pen_3 misplaced blocks
- MC-195351 - Comparator in compare mode can schedule unneeded tileticks
- MC-196542 - Small cleanup for skylight propagation code
- MC-197009 - Referencing empty item tag in recipe can crash client
- MC-197140 - Jack o’Lantern doesn’t come after Carved Pumpkin in Creative Inventory
- MC-197179 - Baby piglins that pick up leather don’t despawn, cluttering the Nether with unnecessary baby piglins
- MC-197524 - Border chunks do not enforce neighbors to be loaded, causing light updates to get stuck
- MC-198129 - ReplaceBlobsFeature changed from 1.16.1 to 1.16.2, affecting Basalt Delta generation
- MC-198414 - if the angle in /spawnpoint is set to ±infinity, and the player dies, it will kick the player, and upon rejoin will crash the game
- MC-198807 - Making piglins and piglin brutes angry at certain entities (like dropped items) crashes the game
- MC-202246 - Drowned navigation causes memory leak/performance degredation
Get the snapshot
Snapshots are available for Minecraft: Java Edition. To install the snapshot, open up the Minecraft Launcher and enable snapshots in the "Installations" tab.
Snapshots can corrupt your world, so please backup and/or run them in a different folder from your main worlds.
Cross-platform server jar:
Report bugs here:
Want to give feedback?
- Écrit par
- Adrian Östergård